Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Step by Step


I had my pole dancing class today and was intending on bringing up the idea of the documentary to the other women in the class, but I didn't feel like I found the right moment. After class when the the group dispersed I ended speaking with just one of the women and was able to present the idea of the documentary to her.  She was very supportive and excited and was more than happy to talk about it although said that she would not be comfortable being on film.  She said it may be a problem for her work and public persona. I understand and am not surprised that she said this. I imagine that many of the women will respond in a similar way.  It is interesting that pole dancing and especially the kind of pole dancing we do at S Factor, which involves a real exploration of each persons personal sense of sensuality and eroticism carries a stigma.



I am glad I was able to speak with this woman today and talk to the entire group at once. It was a good place to start and it helps me to clarify my thoughts.


2 comments:

  1. There is something about the sculpture that is so beautiful to me and represents perhaps an aspect of the sensuality you are talking about. I am completely taken with seeing this old? sculpture in the same post as the contemporary photo of a woman pole dancing. This is a great meaningful pairing to me and when i look at both images I am linked to a long line of women because it reminds me
    that a woman's sensuality is an unbroken thread that stretches through time. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for the comment. It was an interesting process for me to pick images for this post. At first I thought of women pole dancing and then I thought that this didn't really represent what is important about pole dancing to me, so I put both images. You articulated exactly what I was trying to express. I am so pleased that the images conveyed this meaning

      Delete