Monday, June 30, 2014

Things I am thinking about part 2

I still haven't gone back to drawing so instead I will tell you about a documentary  project that I have been thinking about and feel ready to start putting into motion:

I take pole dancing classes at a place called S Factor. I have been doing this for a number of years and after all this time, I am actually not very good at pole dancing. My body just doesn't seem to have the strength for it, but I still keep going to classes and I keep moving onto the next level. I am at the top level now, but still can't do some very basic tricks. So, the question is, why do I do this?  Why do I spend all this money learning how to pole dance?  And of all the dance forms I can choose, why pole dancing of all things?  I mean, isn't that for men in strip clubs?  And how in the world can a group of women enjoy doing this together?  These are all things I have thought and strangely, I have found the journey of pole dancing at this particular school to be incredibly enlightening, both in terms of my own sensual exploration and in terms of the kind of connection I have created with the other women in the classes.  It fascinates me and surprises me and I think it will make an interesting documentary.  

I have been thinking about this for a while, but I feel ready to ask some of the women in my class if they would be willing to talk about their experience for the camera.  It is really a bit frightening to start this project for a number of reasons, but I am willing to take the plunge.  Wish me  luck!!



I can't do many tricks, but I am happy to say that I can do this one!  (That's not me)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Michele - I wish you luck! and more than that I say go for it. I am excited to hear you are thinking about making a documentary. I believe it's a new avenue for you, a new exploration. So it's wonderful to hear you are ready to start with the first step and see where that leads you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! Your supportive words help me a lot

      Delete
  2. wow, Michele! I'm very impressed that you can do this upside down trick!
    And that you're willing to take the plunge to document something that has interested you despite some fears. I find this so admirable. I also feel it would be really interesting to watch you and others explore your attraction to this form of dance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love hearing/reading your thinking process michele. sooooooo interesting how and why we choose things....i think this is really great idea. and i too appreciate doing something despite the fears!!!! bravo.

    ReplyDelete